Home | Stories | News | Theaters | Drive-Ins | Profiles | The Authors | Other Books | Links
Clio, SC

Edens Opera House

Built around 1910 by Jefferson D. Edens, Sr., Edens Opera House included stores, offices, and an auditorium. Theater companies entertained crowds drawn from Clio and surrounding towns. The auditorium was on the second floor.

It is hard to imagine how busy Clio's downtown district was in the early years of the twentieth century. Before television and all the other forms of recorded and broadcast entertainment, Clio, like many other small towns in South Carolina, enjoyed live entertainment from New York's Vaudeville and legitimate theater stages. These shows arrived by trains traveling from New York to Miami. Many of the entertainers whose names are now legendary, like Eddie Cantor and the Marx Brothers, came to small cities and towns on a regular schedule.


Edens Opera House in Clio
The auditorium was on the second floor

The Marlboro Theater was located on Main Street. It is now Barbara Hubbard's rose garden. In the brick area behind her, you can still see the former roof line of the Marlboro Theater. Barbara said the floor slope was dug into the ground. When the lot where the theater once stood was excavated, tons of dirt and top soil were added to make the area a garden.


This advertisement for the Marlboro Theatre in Clio
is from the Marlboro Herald-Advocate in 1951.
Click to Enlarge

Home | Stories | News | Theaters | Drive-Ins | Profiles | The Authors | Other Books | Links