Home | Stories | News | Theaters | Drive-Ins | Profiles | The Authors | Other Books | Links
Camp Jackson Theatre - Columbia, SC

Camp Jackson Theater - 1917
click on image to enlarge

Camp Jackson Theater

The theater had a seating capacity of 3000!

The famous 81st “Wildcat” Division was organized at Camp Jackson, South Carolina on 25 August 1917. By 17 September, Camp Jackson’s first Post Commander and Commanding General of the 81st, Brigadier General Charles H. Barth, moved his Division into permanent quarters. During the month more than 8,000 draftees arrived to fill the Division’s ranks.

Just before Christmas of that year the contractor, Hardaway, turned over the entire camp to the Army, although he left behind hundreds of men to perform maintenance and repairs until the military engineers could take things in hand.

In six months time, Hardaway had built a city of 1,519 buildings, including theaters, stores, kitchens, barracks, officers’ quarters, training facilities, stables, warehouses, garages, an airfield, roads, bridges, railroads, a reservoir and water lines, sewers, wells, heating plants, and a laundry. He also drained the dismal and dangerous Gill Creek Swamp that covered approximately 200 acres of the area.

As of 31 December 1917, there were 1,501 officers and 40,997 other ranks, or a total military strength of 42,498 in Camp Jackson.

Note: This information is from the Fort Jackson Museum web site.

Home | Stories | News | Theaters | Drive-Ins | Profiles | The Authors | Other Books | Links